Iceland is so hot right now (figuratively speaking, of course). If you seek surreal, Instagram-worthy landscapes, eco-friendly attitudes, and an escape from the everyday, then you’ll warm right up to this incredible country. Did we mention there’s volcanoes and waterfalls and geothermal baths? Channel your inner-Viking and get ready to discover geysers, explore glaciers, and experience a place that feels as pure as it was 1,000 years ago.
What are the top highlights?
- Travel around the Golden Circle, stopping at the Great Geysir, Thingvellir National Park, and Gulfoss
- Walk along a black sand beach
- Hike Iceland’s largest glacier, and take in some very nice ice views
- Immerse yourself in geothermal hot springs and let out the most satisfying “ahhhh” of your life
- Try to hear yourself shout over the sheer majesty of some of Europe’s most powerful waterfalls
- Traverse the Langjökull Glacier via special snow truck
- Get a glimpse of the lava field the Apollo 11 astronauts used to train for walking on the moon
- Kayak in a glacier ice lagoon
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- 7 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Daily breakfast, Welcome Mixer & Farewell Dinner
- Guided sightseeing around the country
- Entrance to select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click **here **for examples of where you'll stay.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
Day 1: Overnight Flight to Reykjavik
Sit back, relax, and pass the time on your overnight flight to Iceland by attempting to pronounce ‘vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyklakippuhringur,’ AKA the longest word in Icelandic.
Day 2: Explore Reykjavik + Optional Blue Lagoon Spa Visit
Welcome to Iceland, the "Land of Fire and Ice,” and the home of active volcanoes, striking glaciers, really tall people descended from Vikings, and really tiny horses (but don’t call them ponies).
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel to check in and check out your room.
- Get familiar with Reykjavik with an introductory walk with your Tour Director including Hofoi House and the Old Town Center
In the evening, it’s time for your Welcome Mixer. Enjoy some appetizers over drinks with fellow travelers at an authentic local spot. Then it’s on to wherever your new friends and the party takes you.
Free Time Suggestions
Hallgrímskirkja Church Tower: Visit the Hallgrímskirkja church observation tower for an unbelievable aerial view of Reykjavík and the surrounding mountains.
Micro Bar: For the best craft beer in the city, look no further than Micro Bar, with 5-10 Icelandic beers always on draft.
The Hot Dog Stand: Icelanders love hot dogs. Hit Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur, or the simply named Hot Dog Stand, and get a lamb hot dog with everything: raw onions, fried onions, ketchup, sweet mustard, and a mayo remoulade sauce.
Blue Lagoon Spa Visit(extra cost)
Get ready to feel relaxed, refreshed, and rejuvenated at the world-famous Blue Lagoon geothermal spa. Lather on a silica mud mask (we can ask around for eye cucumbers like in cartoons, but this might be a BYOCucumber situation), float weightlessly in the warm, light-blue waters and sweat it out with friends in the sauna or steam rooms. When you’re done and free of any semblance of a worry in the world, kick back and take in the view from the relaxation area. This, my friends, is the height of luxury.
Day 3: Experience the Golden Circle + Optional Snorkeling Between Continents
Travel the Golden Circle, a route that hits Iceland’s most magnificent natural wonders. Is there a waterfall? Yep. Geysers? Multiple. The meeting point of continental plates? Of course.
- Walk between two continents at Thingvellir National Park, the boundary between the North American and the Eurasian tectonic plates.
- Explore the Great Geysir Geothermal Area, and watch the Great Strokkur geyser erupt like Diet Coke and Mentos.
- Discover Gullfoss, better known as the "Golden Waterfall,” a natural wonder and one of the most powerful waterfalls in Europe.
Snorkeling Between Continents(extra cost)
Gloves off, mask on—and also snorkel on. And maybe some of those cool flipper feet things, too. This isn’t just snorkeling. This is snorkeling at the very point where continental tectonic plates meet. Glide like a fish between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates in this extremely blue water. Filtered through lava and volcanic rock for decades, it’s so blue you can see for over 300 feet in some cases. Float, flop, dip, and dive your way between two continents in an aquatic adventure of a lifetime.
Day 4: Explore the South Coast
Set your sights to the south coast, a lowland region of striking waterfalls, glaciers, and volcanoes. To anyone attempting to pronounce them, we salute you.
- Find out what's really on the other side of a waterfall by actually standing behind the powerful Seljalandsfoss waterfall.
- Explore Skogafoss waterfall—where, according to legend, a Viking settler left some treasure here around the year 900.
- View the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which erupts once every few hundred years—don’t worry, you’ll be seeing it from a distance
- Stick your feet in the rich black sand, gawk at the giant basalt columns, and generally peak at Reynisfjara beach.
Free Time Suggestions
Fermented Shark: Feeling brave? Fermented shark is one of Iceland’s national dishes, and is a must-try for the adventurous foodies out there. Be warned, it’s an all-out assault on your nostrils, but apparently doesn’t taste as bad as it smells. Good luck!
Skyr: Icelandic yogurt really saw Chobani trying its best and said “step aside.” Seriously, skyr is both thicker and more protein-packed than Greek yogurt, and a delicious, traditional Icelandic treat.
Day 5: Skaftafell National Park + Glacier Hiking & Kayaking
If you haven’t realized by now, all of Iceland is basically a national park. But today you get to check out Skaftafell—a national park within a national park within Iceland. A park so large it contains regions, and a glacier that covers nearly 10% of Iceland’s land surface. Not too shabby, eh?
- Hop on your morning bus to Skaftafell—feel free to close your eyes and pretend it’s a Viking ship.
- Take a deep breath before Vatnajökull Glacier takes it away on a hike of this massive and surreal ice mountain.
- Head to the Jökulsárlón Glacier lagoon, keeping an eye out for the Eldhraun lava field: the largest lava field in the world, and where the Apollo 11 crew trained for walking on the moon.
- Do something that gets better with each word: Kayak. The. Glacier. Ice. Lagoon.
Day 6: Travel to Egilsstaðir via East Fjords Region
Finally, a day to put the Icelandic folk songs you’ve learned to use—by singing them all together on the bus en route to Egilsstaðir on the east coast of Iceland today. If you don’t know any folk songs, make some up! May we suggest “99 Bottles of Skyr on the Wall”?
- Head to the supremely chill and supremely serene town of Egilsstaðir.
- Stop along the way to snag mind-blowing pics of the East Fjords region, and mountains that descend straight into the sea.
Day 7: Travel to Myvatn + Explore the Geothermal Bath
If Iceland’s out-of-this-world terrain hasn’t thoroughly scrambled your brain by now, it certainly will today (in a good way)! Start your morning with a ride across a desert plateau. Is that a glacier in the background? Yep, it sure is. Somehow it all makes sense—and makes for great Instagrams. Just saying.
- Cross the Möðrudalur Oraefi desert plateau on your mechanical camel (AKA a bus).
- Get in your daily waterfall content with a visit to the country’s largest waterfall—Dettifoss drops 144 feet, and is arguably Europe’s most powerful falls.
- Bathe like your ancestors—if your ancestors were Vikings, that is—in the Myvatn geothermal hot springs.
- Arrive in Iceland’s “capital city of the north,” Akureyri, and take in the puffin-filled charms of this quaint community.
Day 8: Explore Langjökull Glacier + Return to Reykjavik + Farewell Dinner
It’s your final day in Iceland. That means one last day of bizarre unearthly landscapes, one last day of being welcomed by its friendly inhabitants, and one last day to share with your new travel family. Ready? Let’s go!
- Begin your cross-country trip back to Reykjavik—don’t worry, the country isn’t that big.
- Traverse the Langjökull Glacier via special snow truck.
- Chase away your last day blues with a wild stroll through Langjökull Glacier’s blue ice tunnels.
- Arrive back in Reykjavik and take solace in the fact that things are just as lovely here as you left them.
Share some last laughs and revisit the best moments of the trip at this included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 9: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.