Greece Escape: Santorini & Mykonos
Praise the Greek gods of travel, here’s a Greece trip that covers it all—from Athens to Zeus—in just nine days. Go from the cradle of Western Civilization in Athens to the sunny beaches of Santorini, and the mind-blowing nightclubs of Mykonos all in one feta swoop. This trip is ancient history, timeless vistas, and drool-inducing food and wine to the Mediterranean max. Opa!
What are the top highlights?
- Cruise the azure seas of the Aegean
- Hike to the top of Athens’ ancient and famous Acropolis
- Catch some rays at world-famous island beaches
- Snap a photo of the whitewashed (and blue-domed) buildings
- Enjoy epic, world-class nightlife in Mykonos
- Flood your Instagram with unreal vistas and Santorini sunsets
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private deluxe motorcoach
- Flight between Athens and Santorini
- Ferries between islands and Athens
- 7 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Dinner with food & drinks
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Wine tasting in Santorini and an authentic local dinner in Mykonos
- Boat cruise around Mykonos island
- Entrance to the Acropolis & more
You’ve selected an UltimatePlus departure. Nice choice! You’ll be staying at 3-4-star hotels throughout your trip. Each property is located in a safe and convenient area to ensure a comfortable stay, in rooms that are only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Actual accommodations will be made available to you 30 days before your trip. Looking for our standard accommodations? Choose a departure date without the diamond icon, and you’ll stay at a combination of boutique hostels and hotels.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
Day 1: Overnight Flight
Board your overnight flight to Athens, the cradle of Western Civilization and one of the oldest cities in the world. Pro tip: if you’re looking to earn some bonus points with the locals upon arrival, make sure you refer to Greece by its real name: Hellas.
Day 2: Arrive in Athens + Welcome Dinner
Welcome to Athens! 2,500 years ago, it was the most happening place, and still totally is today—but with fewer people walking around in togas. It’s a vibrant metropolis, and a perfect jumping-off point for your journey through Greece.
- Land at the airport and meet a waiting EF representative.
- Transfer to your hotel, check out your room, and start to meet your fellow travelers as they arrive.
- Get familiar with the area around your hotel with an introductory walk around the Plaka District, Hadrian’s Arch, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus with your Tour Director.
At the Welcome Dinner, you’ll meet your new friends over drinks and a meal. Afterwards, you’re free to take the party elsewhere!
Day 3: Explore Athens
The remains of some historically significant and crazy old structures still stand in this ancient citadel, including the Parthenon and the Temple of Athena Nike. So yeah, it’s kind of a big deal. The rest of the day is yours to explore Athens.
- Step back in time in the historic Acropolis of Athens with your local guide.
- See the Propylaea, the Theatre of Dionysus, and a bunch of other structures you’ll need your guide’s help to pronounce.
- Take in incredible panoramic views of Athens from the citadel’s hilltop vantage point, and understand why the ancient city’s name translates to “high city”.
Free Time Suggestions
Ouzo: Sample ouzo, the local anise-flavored aperitif, at an authentic Greek restaurant, locally known as a taverna.
National Archaeology Museum: The National Archaeology Museum is considered one of the greatest museums in the world, with pieces ranging from Greek sculptures to Egyptian Antiquities. Mama Mia! That’s quite a collection.
Day 4: Travel to Santorini
Escape the hustle and bustle of Athens and immerse yourself in island life, Mediterranean style. You’re headed to Santorini, one of the most iconic Greek Islands, complete with whitewashed and blue-domed buildings, romantic beaches, and endless sunshine.
- Board your flight to Santorini, and get ready to feel the love in this iconic romantic destination.
- Check in to your accommodation and get to know the picturesque island that you’ll be calling home for the next two nights.
- Sprint to the nearest beach (hint: you’re surrounded by them) and enjoy a Santorini sunset.
Free Time Suggestions
Sunset: Oia is the traditional village in the northwestern end of Santorini and best known for its blue-domed churched, windmills and winding streets that pop up in everyone’s Instagram feeds. And for good reason. Head there before sunset for awe-inspiring sunset views and get ready to capture some killer pics.
Beach Time: Visit one of Santorini’s top beaches for an evening swim—from Perivolos to Kamari to Ammoudi Bay—there are tons to choose from and you literally can’t go wrong.
Day 5: Free Day in Santorini + Wine Tasting
Still loving life on this romantic island? Rhetorical question: The answer is obviously yes. Enjoy another day to check out Santorini’s famous sites and hidden gems. Now, here’s your trivia question of the day— What’s black, white, and red all over? Answer: The sandy beaches that cover this volcanic island. Think you know your adult grape juice? Enjoy an evening cliffside wine tasting excursion.
- Grab your towel and your sunscreen, it’s time to hit the beach(es).
- Take a dip in the Aegan Sea. You can pinch yourself, but we promise you aren’t dreaming, plus you’ll end up with some unnecessary bruises.
- Shop along the narrow streets of Fira, the capital city of Santorini, or just admire the handcrafted jewelry, local artwork, and souvenirs.
- Channel your inner wine-aficionado during a tasting at a Cliffside winery while watching the sunset.
Free Time Suggestions
Akrotiri Ruins: Visit the Akrotiri Ruins, a Minoan Bronze Age settlement buried in volcanic dust. This site predates Pompeii and is considered by many to be the famed lost city of Atlantis.
Thira: Head up to the top of the cliffs on the southeast part of the island to explore this Greek and Roman archaeological site.
Day 6: Travel to Mykonos + Dinner
Head out from Santorini to Mykonos by way of ferry. Though also rich in ancient history and romantic views, this wild child of an island’s claim to fame is all-out, non-stop, dance-until-the-sun-comes-up nightlife. Between dazzling seascapes, sandy beaches and the best nightlife in the Mediterranean, get ready—you’ve got two big days and two even bigger nights here.
- Wave goodbye to Santorini and set your sights for Mykonos as your board your ferry.
- Arrive in Mykonos and check in to your accommodation.
- Get to know the area with your Tour Director on a brief walk, and start planning out your evening.
- Spend your free time exploring a few of the islands 800 churches…or maybe just head to one of its 100 bars. You do you.
- Celebrate your trip thus far with an included group dinner out in Mykonos.
Free Time Suggestions
Mykonos Beaches: The late afternoon is a great time to beach it—a little breeze kicks up and the temperature dips just enough to make it feel great.
Panagia Paraportiani: Mykonos’ most famous church, the rock-like Panagia Paraportiani, is usually locked, but the fabulously photogenic whitewashed exterior is a spiritual experience in itself.
Day 7: Beach Day in Mykonos + Boat Cruise & BBQ
Spend your last day in Mykonos the right way: cruising around the bright blue coast on a boat. This is your day to boat, beach, relax, repeat. Feel like a certified baller lounging aboard the boat under the Grecian sun, and let out a big “Opa!” for Mykonos.
- Take a cruise to see the island from the water, with unparalleled views of the harbor and the iconic windmills.
- Relax on isolated beaches, swim in the crystal clear water, take in the beautiful ocean and harbor views and enjoy a traditional BBQ Greek lunch.
- · Get one last night of Mykonos bar-hopping in.
Free Time Suggestions
Paradise Beach: By day, Paradise Beach is a hotspot for sun tanners, sand castle-builders, and partiers alike. By night, the sand is your dance floor and the entire beach erupts into a high-energy party that goes ‘til dawn.
Super Paradise Beach: Visit Super Paradise Beach, Paradise Beach’s smaller, quainter neighbor. Relax under an umbrella, hang out in a beach bar, and soak up your last day in this island paradise.
Day 8: Return to Athens + Farewell Dinner
Athens felt neglected, so it’s a good thing you’re heading back to pay it another visit. End the trip with a bang in a city known for stunning views and world-class nightlife. By now, you’re an old pro when it comes to exploring Greece, so we’re giving you the day to adventure in Athens on your own before an included farewell dinner with the group.
- Take a ferry from Mykonos to Athens, and greet the ancient city like a really, really old friend.
- Revisit some favorite spots from day one in Athens, or go on a hunt to find new hidden gems.
- Check out some of the residential areas for an authentic look at life in Athens.
Free Time Suggestions
Mount Lycabettus: Flood-lit like a beacon towering over the city, Mount Lycabettus offers a spectacular view of the city. If you’ve been holding out on posting a scenic Instagram post, this is your moment.
Psiri: Think of Psiri as the Brooklyn of Athens: impossibly hip and filled with opportunities to dance, drink, or just hang out.
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 9: Fly Home
Translation: Goodbye, friends. Before you head to the airport, make sure to take one more group photo and grab that final drink. But this isn’t goodbye because you can always get the gang back together for another trip soon. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, we have a couple ways to keep your vacation going.
EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.